The municipality traces its origins during the middle of the 17th century when Spanish friars opened a mission intended to convert the native population to Catholicism. Several families grouped together for mutual protection from wild beasts and lawless elements. Three missionary priests were sent to the settlement. Having surveyed the settlement, two of the priests did not admire the place. One of them was heard to have remarked in Spanish “Mala” meaning “No good”. The other readily nodded in agreement and was heard to have replied in Spanish “Si” meaning “Yes”. But the third priest was determined to settle with the natives than the other two, so he was heard to have protested in Spanish saying “Yqui?” meaning “So what?”. The natives who heard the short dialogue but did not understand the language thought that the priest gave a name to the settlement. They heard the priests uttered the following words in succession “Mala-si-yqui”. From that time the settlement has been known as Malasiqui.
MAYOR: NOEL ANTHONY M. GESLANI
VICE MAYOR: ARMANDO C. DOMANTAY, SR.
LAND AREA: 12,378 hectares
NO. OF BARANGAYS: 73
CLASSIFICATION: 1st class
TOWN FIESTA: Fest of St. Ildephonse January 17-22
PRODUCTS: rice, corn, vegetables, mango
POINTS OF INTEREST: Parish of San Ildephonse (1699)