One of the key functions of Government is to provide economic and financial management. Governments need to have a sound fiscal management system / treasury system to help them track cash inflows and outflows in order to facilitate better planning and utilization of funds. Another reason for Governments to have a sound financial management system is on account of increasing demands for greater transparency and accountability in the management of the public’s finances.
Treasury systems form the backbone for recording and processing all financial transactions related to the budget for any level of government. An integrated treasury system offers several significant benefits in managing public funds more effectively:
- Full integration of budget and budget execution data, thereby allowing greater financial control;
- Improved planning for cash as well as close and timely monitoring of the government’s cash position;
- Provision of adequate management reporting at various levels of budget execution;
- Improvement of data quality for the preparation and execution of the budget; and
- Facilitation of the preparation of financial statements and other financial reports for budgeting, analysis and financial control.
With an objective to ensure the effective use of Information Technology within Finance Department, various other departments of the State, AG’s office and banks there is a need for an Integrated Government Fiscal Management System (IGFMS) for the State of Uttar Pradesh. Uttar Pradesh has District Treasuries and Sub-Treasuries located all over the state. Associated with each treasury, there is a lead bank branch, which co-ordinates all treasury related work. There are other offices that do the record keeping and monitoring of government accounts. The offices are the Finance Department, Accountant General’s Office, Treasuries Department, Accounts officers of the different Departments, Banks and Drawing and Disbursing Officers, who are ultimately responsible for the disbursement of payments against the various bills.