The Official Website of the Province of Pangasinan

SP suspends barangay fiestas, SK activities in Pangasinan

March 10, 2020

Amid the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), the Pangasinan provincial board suspends all forthcoming barangay fiestas including Sangguniang Kabataan activities in the province.

Sangguniang Panlalawigan member Jose G. Peralta Jr., Liga ng mga Barangay Provincial Federation President, who authored Provincial Resolution No. 314-2020 noted that this forms part in the precautionary measures of the Provincial Government of Pangasinan against the COVID-19.

“The Sangguniang Panlalawigan is calling on all local government units more particularly Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan officials to be united in helping the national and provincial governments to combat the acute respiratory diseases by suspending activities that could draw crowd in their respective localities,” the resolution reads.

The resolution also states: “The Sangguniang Panlalawigan expresses grave concern over the sudden rise of COVID-19 cases in the country not to mention also the reported isolated case in the province.”

It can be recalled that earlier this week, the Department of Health disclosed in a press conference that among the COVID-19 positive patients is a foreign visitor from Australia who participated in a high school reunion. The subject, a female, visited the province of February 22-23.

The female Balikbayan, along with her husband, departed to Manila in the afternoon of February 23 and returned to Sydney, Australia on March 2 where she reportedly developed cough. On March 3, the New South Wales government in Australia has confirmed the Fil-Australian to be positive of COVID-19.

However, DOH Region 1 Director Valeriano Lopez said the 14-day incubation period has already lapsed on March 8 noting that the subject and her husband left Lingayen on February 23.

The DOH-Region 1 also assured that as of today, Pangasinan remains free of the disease and no person among the attendees of the reunion showed signs and symptoms of severe of respiratory ailment.

Peralta said, during the Pangasinan in Action media forum on March 10, that the suspension of fiestas and other activities in the barangay will prevent the existence or contagion of the disease in the community.

Peralta underscored that only barangay fiestas which are mostly held from March to May every year and other SK activities are suspended while the regular barangay assembly will not be affected.

“Ang mga barangay assembly ang gagamitin natin for information dissemination para malaman ng tao ang mga hakbang na ginagawa ng provincial government,” he stated.

Vowing full support of the Pangasinan provincial board to all safety measures of the provincial government, spearheaded by Governor Amado I. Espino III, the board member also sought collective efforts from local leaders, especially the barangay leaders and barangay health workers to help combat the emerging virus.

/Shiella Mae C. De Guzman