The Official Website of the Province of Pangasinan

Prov’l Gov’t Halfway House sends home 1 COVID-19 survivor

April 22, 2020

The Provincial Government of Pangasinan halfway house in Sta. Barbara sent home another COVID-19 survivor on April 21.

The COVID-19 survivor, a 66-year-old female native of Malasiqui, Pangasinan stayed at the halfway for one week since April 14 to complete her remaining quarantine period after testing negative for COVID-19 twice when she was confined at the Pangasinan Provincial Hospital.

The COVID survivor came back to the province last week of March upon announcement of enhanced community quarantine in Manila.

According to her, she may had contacted the virus when she was traveling back to the province with her husband while on board a public transportation bus and without wearing a protective face mask.

On her first day in the province, she already showed symptoms of COVID-19 which included sore throat, nasal congestion and tiredness, however, her husband showed no symptom.

The COVID survivor received a certificate from the Provincial Health Office as a validation that she finished the 28-day Treatment Management and Isolation.

The COVID survivor was sent home via transport vehicle of the provincial government and accompanied by a staff nurse.

Provincial Health Officer II Anna Ma. Teresa S. De Guzman disclosed that the 66-year-old COVID survivor is the sixth patient discharged from the halfway house.

It can be learned that the first patient who received treatment management and isolated at the halfway house was a native of Umingan, Pangasinan.

As of date, there are 5 patients who are confined at the halfway house, the PHO reported.

Dr. De Guzman said that this halfway house is intended for COVID-19 survivor patients and other patients under investigation or suspects to assure that they complete the quarantine period and avoid fears from the community as the survivor may become an agent of local transmission.

COVID-19 positive patients who tested negative and completed 14-day quarantine inside a hospital, are transferred to the halfway house to complete another 14-day quarantine for treatment and management for a total of 28 quarantine period.

“From the hospital, dinadala sila dito dahil negative na sila pero mangangailangan pa rin ng patuloy na gamutan sa loob ng labing-apat na araw at kumukuha na rin kami ng third specimen para masigurado na negatibo na sila sa sakit bago pauwiin sa kanilang mga tahanan,” Dr. De Guzman also said.

Dr. De Guzman added that the province of Pangasinan recorded no new case of COVID-19 for about 5 days (as of April 21).

Based on the latest report of the PHO on April 22, Pangasinan registered 22 recoveries out of the total 36 cases to include the remaining 5 confined patients and 9 deaths.

Dr. De Guzman underscored that the continuous increase of recoveries in the province can be attributed to the effective implementation of health protocols of the provincial government and in the same way, the response of the community for early detection.

“Dahil maayos na ang pag-respond ng ating mga pasyente sa early stage ng kanilang sakit, nade-detect na sila agad and at the same time dahil na rin sa ating maayos na implementation ng treatment management ng ating mga COVID warriors (health front liners),” she added.

As part of the intensified efforts against the coronavirus, the provincial government of Pangasinan led by Governor Amado I. Espino III is now preparing for mass testing, Dr. De Guzman bared.

/Shiella Mae C. De Guzman (Photos by Jin Perez)